RE: implementing redefinitions

In QT we have to consider a query or transformation as a whole. Documents
are annotated with types, and we need to have confidence that when we see a
type annotation, we know what type it refers to. The processing model
assumes that types can be identified by a QName. For this to work, we can't
have two different types with the same QName within the scope of a query or
transformation (in the XQuery case, this scope is an entire database...).

This is something of a pain, because it means you can't use XSLT to
transform from one version of a schema to another version of the same schema
if it uses the same namespace. Clearly we need a versioning story, as you
have often said yourself...

But it also affects redefine. If I load two documents as inputs to a query
or transformation, one validated using schema A, and the other using schema
R which redefines schema A, then I've got two types with the same name, and
everything (in particular, QT type checking) breaks.