restrict element content by the attribute from a different namespace?

From: <maksim@likharev.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:28:54 -0700
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Perhaps I'm looking into a wrong direction and this is totally wrong,

but I would like restrict element content by the attribute from a different

Suppose I have a schema "base.xsd" where declared a set of attributes, for

<!-- base.xsd -->

<xs:attribute name="readonly" type="xs:boolean" />

this is used for service information.

In the schema "main.xsd" I have set of elements:

<!-- main.xsd -->

<xs:element name="generic" type="xs:anyType" abstract="1" />

<xs:element name="field1"  type="xs:string"  substitutionGroup="generic"
base:readonly="0" />

<xs:element name="field2"  type="xs:string"  substitutionGroup="generic"
base:readonly="1" />

<xs:element name="fields">

                  <xs:element ref="generic" minOccurs="1"
maxOccurs="unbounded" />

As you can see abstract types and elements in play, that's solely for
versioning, all those C#/java tends to

tolerate following construct more loose and adding new field generally
doesn't break the code.

What I would like to do, is restrict set of elements in the <fields> to only
where base:readonly="1"