RE: whiteSpace and normalizedString

There are several ways of parsing this sentence but the only one that makes
any semantic sense is:

For all .atomic. datatypes (except (xs:string union (types .derived. by
.restriction. from xs:string))) the value of whiteSpace
is collapse and cannot be changed by a schema author;

I'm not sure how you're parsing it but I think that's where your confusion
lies.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/