RE: Documents with both XSD and DTD

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:29:54 +0100
To: "'Christopher Milton'" <cmiltonperl@yahoo.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> > Can a document safely reference both a DTD (via <!DOCTYPE ... >)
> > and an XML Schema Document?

Yes.

> > And does a DTD require/allow an XML prolog?

I believe that an entity used to hold the external DTD subset can have a
text declaration <?xml ...?> just like any other external entity, though
they seem to be rarely used in practice. Try it and see. I assume this is
what you meant by the question. A DTD can't include an XML prolog because
the prolog allows a DOCTYPE declaration, and DTDs can't be nested except by
using parameter entities.

This is completely off-topic for this list.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/