Documents with both XSD and DTD

From: Christopher Milton <cmiltonperl@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 06:04:52 -0700 (PDT)
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Can a document safely reference both a DTD (via <!DOCTYPE ... >)
and an XML Schema Document?

And does a DTD require/allow an XML prolog? I keep getting well-formedness
errors if the prolog is present. I thought that a DTD was SGML, but not
XML, so no prolog was needed, but was told that since an external DTD was
a parsed entity, then it must have a prolog.

I'm confused. And I may have the wrong venue.

Chris Milton