Re: How to reference a value in the xml instance document from schema?

>> I am so happy to hear that my research
>> turned up nothing because it is not possible as
>> opposed to my just not "getting it" or "looking
>> in the wrong place".

Nope, you're doing fine.  You might want to look into Schematron[1]. It's
not ubquitously deployed as a standard, but there is fairly widespread use
in some communities.  It can function as an adjunct to XML Schema and I
believe it can within limits capture constraints of the sort you seek.  I
say within limits because, though I'm not a Schematron expert,  I >think<
it's based on XSL 1.0 and the related XPath 1.0 and I suspect  that means
that its knowledge of XML Schema types is limited.  Still, my guess is
that it can do arithmetic sufficient to capture the sorts of integer tests
you have below.   If you were doing this with real xsd:dates I'd be a bit
more worried. A Schematron expert can probably verify my speculations.

Noah

[1] http://www.schematron.com/

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation