Resolving ID usage in schemas

From: Bagepalli, Kiran <kbagepalli@informatica.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:28:00 -0700
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Cc: "Bagepalli, Kiran" <kbagepalli@informatica.com>

I had a question on  id handling in schemas.

For eg. if I have schema A.xsd

<xsd:schema id="ABC">
  <xsd:include schemaLocation="B.xsd">
  <xsd:element name="x" type="xsd:string">
</xsd:schema>

schema B.xsd

<xsd:schema id="ABC">     //HERE ABC value is repeated as a id
</xsd:schema>

If we look at A.xsd as standalone XML having a id attribute it is unique.
However since it includes B.xsd does the id declared here considered a duplicate.

The schema spec is silent on this. On one front, the DTD for schemas states that id is unique within the schema instance.
On the other front it states schema document is a collection of schemas resulting from the includes and imports.
Is the id in B.xsd considered to have a duplicate value?

Appreciate your help
Thanks
Kiran