RE: Enforcing IDs in XML Schema

Do you really need these attributes to IDs?  IDs should never be duplicated
within the same XML document .

<items>
             <item ident="1">...</item>
             <item ident="2">...</item>
             <item ident="3">...</item>
</items>
<things>
             <thing ident="2">...</thing>
             <thing ident="3">...</thing>
             <thing ident="4">...</thing>
</things>

You can use UNIQUE to say that the values of the ident attribute across all
<item> elements have to be unique,
and the same thing for all values of the ident attribute across all <thing>
elements.

Thanks,
Bob

             "Simon Kampa"
             <simon.kampa@stas
             ys.co.uk>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
             xmlschema-dev-req                                          cc
             uest@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Enforcing IDs in XML Schema
             05/04/2004 11:18
             AM

Hi,

Thanks for the tips so far.

However, I'm having difficulties getting that approach to work in a
scenario like this:

<items>
             <item id="1">...</item>
             <item id="2">...</item>
             <item id="3">...</item>
</items>
<things>
             <thing id="2">...</thing>
             <thing id="3">...</thing>
             <thing id="4">...</thing>
</things>

Within each section the IDs must be unique. But, the same ID can appear
again in a different section (e.g. in this example the ID values 2 and 3
appear twice).

Any ideas on how this would be expressed?

Thanks!

--
Simon Kampa