Unique element identifiers across attributes

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 07:27:49 +0100
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi,

  I have a document where all elements may have an ID 'm' attribute
and some elements (a, b, c) may have a NMTOKEN 'n' attribute. I want
to express that values for 'm' and 'n' must be globally unique
identifiers for elements, that is the fragment

  <a n = 'x' m = 'x' />

is valid, while the fragments

are all invalid, since the identifier 'x' is ambiguous. Is
it impossible to express this constraint in XML Schema?

regards.