can an attribute prohibited by restriction be added back through a subsequent extension?

From: Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:01:44 -0800
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

About 1.5 years ago one of our developers asked whether an attribute [or
element] removed by restriction could be added back in an extension.
Looking back at the message[0] there was no conclusive answer from the
working group and most implementations allowed attributes and elements
removed by restriction to be added back by extensions.

I'd appreciate it if a definitive answer could be provided.

[0] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2002Jul/0213.html

Entropy isn't what it used to be.