Re: schema for RDF in WSDL files

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:47:56 +0000
To: Mithun Sheshagiri <mits1@csee.umbc.edu>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Mithun Sheshagiri <mits1@csee.umbc.edu> writes:

> Hi all,
>          I am trying to enclose RDF in SOAP body of my response messages.
> The schema I am using for the RDF is as follows:

> The service accepts a keyword and outputs ItemList. The SOAP response
> looks like this:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <soapenv:Envelope
>   <soapenv:Body>
>    <RDF xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
>     <ns2:ItemList ns1:ID="instanceOfItemList"
>     xmlns:ns1="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>     xmlns:ns2="http://effects.com/">
>      <ns2:member ns1:resource="http://thisone"/>
>      <ns2:member ns1:resource="http://thistwo"/>
>     </ns2:ItemList>
>     <ns3:keyword xsi:nil="true" xmlns:ns3="http://effects.com/"/>
>    </RDF>
>   </soapenv:Body>
> </soapenv:Envelope>
> I want to extract the RDF/XML from this message and assert it into my
> KB. There is a problem though: the keyword element has a xsi namespace
> which is declared within the Envelope element. I want to move it to
> the RDF element. What changes should I make to the schema?

None.  There's no way with a schema to enforce where namespaces are
declared.  Any conformant XML application which serialises a subtree
(e.g. XSLT, XInclude, XQuery) will have to include namespace bindings
for all namespaces used in that subtree.  You shouldn't have to do
anything, in other words.

                      Half-time member of W3C Team