Handling the enumeration facet

From: Klaas Dellschaft <klaasd@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:33:01 +0100
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hi,

in "XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes" it is said that an enumeration constrains
the value space to a specified set of values. The information item contains
a set of values from the value space. This is an important difference to the
pattern facet which constrains the lexical space (and hence only indirectly
the value space).

But the problem is that the schema component of an enumeration facet can
only contain the literal of a value. This problem becomes obvious if the
value space of a union type is constrained by an enumeration. Given the
following type:

<xs:simpleType>
    <xs:restriction>
        <xs:union memberTypes="xs:integer xs:string"/>
        <xs:enumeration value="10"/>
    </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

Is the literal "10" only mapped to the number 10 or also to the string "10"?
I couldn't find a corresponding section in the specs that unambigously
handle this case. Do you know any sections that could help me to solve this
problem? How would you translate the literal into its value?

Thanks in advance
Klaas