RE: Dump XPATHs from schema?

From: Bart Torbert <Bart.Torbert@ihsenergy.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:51:43 -0700
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, paul.downey@bt.com

PAUL WROTE>>>>>>>>>>>>

i've been trying (on and off) to build such an animal
for some time as an attempt to report on schema test
case coverage:

1) generate a set of possible canonical XPaths from
   a schema (this problem, AIUI)

2) generate canonical XPaths from a set of XML documents

3) sort | comm results to find out which cases from #1
   are covered by documents in #2, and which cases are
   missing.

This approach obviously doesn't cover combinations, but
is good enough for building a taxonomy of schema features
exhibited in test case instance documents.

The best i've come up with so far for step#1 is to
experiment with the Sun and XMLSpy 'document instance
generators' which have controls over stuff like depth of
recursion.

Unfortunately i've yet to find one that meets my needs or
is Open Source (hackable), so became bogged down developing
my own..

Paul

We had an intern take a crack at this.  He sort of got something working
using the Castor parser in Java.  But I am not enough of a Java hack to
figure out
the problems.  I would GLADLY give the code to anyone who want to take a
crack at it.

Bart Torbert
bart.torbert@ihsenergy.com