Re: target namespace and namespaces

From: Jeff Rafter <lists@jeffrafter.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:25:30 -0800
To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
CC: 'Dan Vint' <dvint@dvint.com>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

> Presumably they realize that this is going to make it very difficult to
> reuse XSLT and XQuery code to handle the shared components? There's some
> support for it in 2.0 through the *:local-name construct, but it's a bit
> kludgey.

Yep. But a lot of the reasoning behind the decision is the working group
process at the design level. Ultimately it comes back to versioning--
and the assumption is that versioning needs to be done through the
namespace. In addition, uniformity of structure cannot be achieved so it
is assumed that each divergent structure with a duplicate name needs to
be in a different namespace.

I am not sure either of those assumptions are true; but certainly they
are easier. Luckily, there is very little overlap in the real world--
meaning you don't typically see any two <BORROWER> elements in the same
document (most of the XSLT will be used to carry one set of concepts
from a transactional instance to some in-house representation, or from
one instance to another instance for coordination).

 > There's some support for it in 2.0 through the *:local-name
 > construct, but it's a bit kludgey.

Can't this kludge be approximated through the (even more kludgey) kludge of:

*[local-name()="foo"]

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter