Re: target namespace and namespaces

Michael Kay wrote:

> On the other hand, XML Schema suggests that knowing the target namespace is
> enough information for a schema processor to go and find a schema, with the
> schema location being just a hint. If there is more than one schema for a
> namespace, then there is no way of telling the processor reliably which one
> you want to use.

I do think that only top-level XSD schema documents should be bound to
namespaces. That is, it is important to be able to tell whether a given
XSD document is the root of a complete schema for the namespace or
simply a component of a larger schema. Putting namespaces on XSD
documents that are only modules definitely confuses things.

That is, in my XIRUSS-T repository, when I import an XSD document the
importer really needs to be able to distinguish top-level XSD documents
from XSD module documents.

For example, if I import a document that uses a given namespace and
there are multiple XSD documents associated with that namespace, I would
need to present a list of schemas to the user from which they would
select the one or ones to associate. You would only want top-level XSD
schema documents in that list.

This is complicated by the fact that a given (abstract) document type
might be composed from several namespaces, some of which are intended to
govern entire documents, some of which are only partial modules.

Hmmm. The issue I'm seeing here is what is the best way to define and
use document type "modules" that define only types that are only
meaningful in the context of a larger, "encompassing", schema?

I think the answer might be that such modules should only define types
and no global elements.

But I think more experimentation is required.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber