Re: "an empty value - valid for hexBinary?"

From: Anli Shundi <ashundi@tibco.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:16:24 -0400
To: Kasimier Buchcik <kbuchcik@4commerce.de>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

I think it is valid!  The spec says [1]

[Definition:]   hexBinary represents arbitrary hex-encoded binary data.
The ˇvalue spaceˇ of hexBinary is the set of finite-length sequences of
binary octets.

That includes the empty sequence as well!

Furthermore, the Second Edition of XMLSchema [2] has a regular
expression for base64Binary which explicitly allows empty (base64)
encodings.  hexBinary is just another encoding of byte sequences.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#hexBinary
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-2-20040318/#base64Binary

-Anli

--
Anli Shundi					ashundi@tibco.com
TIBCO Software Inc.				office: (919) 969-6518