RE: Implicit vs explicit elements (for lack of something more accurate)

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:29:05 +0100
To: <pmr@starbak.net>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I'm trying to understand why an XML Schema cannot be written to
> generate a binding that will allow both of the following snippets:
>
> <value>Implicit string text</value>

If you're looking for a historical analysis of why the design has this
limitation, then the answer is almost certainly that the same restriction is
present in DTDs and no-one asked for it to be removed.

(You can of course allow both these forms by allowing mixed content, but
that also allows other things which I assume you don't want.)

Michael Kay