RE: Pattern constraint on string content of complexType having attribute and choice

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:42:26 +0100
To: "'Wyatt Barton'" <hiddenharvest@yahoo.com>, "'Jeni Tennison'" <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I became interested in XML Schema
> (and migrated the app from DTD) just for the
> purpose of enforcing constraints on the data.
> If one were not so interested in validity
> constraint, then what would be the point in
> using Schema at all?

I understand why you want to do validity checking, and why it's frustrating
that you sometimes (often) have to do checks that go beyond what schema can
do for you. (You should see the checks that W3C applies to its own
documents, which include checking that the status section has changed since
the previous issue...)

What I didn't understand was your complaint (as I understood it) that it's
difficult to add an application level check that's executed at the time of
document delivery. I don't see why you would want to add such checks at
delivery time, rather than doing them at publication time.

Michael Kay