RE: Pattern constraint on string content of complexType having attribute and choice

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:24:06 +0100
To: "'Jeni Tennison'" <jeni@jenitennison.com>, "'Wyatt Barton'" <hiddenharvest@yahoo.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> Just because I'm interested, can you give more details about the
> markup-language design that you're trying to support here?

If you do a direct translation of GEDCOM into XML you get a similar
requirement. GEDCOM uses elements that contain a value followed by
qualifiers, for example

  <date>10 MAR 1566
   <note>unsure which calendar
     <date>10 AUG 2004</date>

The obvious answer of puttting the value in another layer of markup:

is pretty ugly, and is excessively verbose when 95% of values have no

Michael Kay