Re: Unique Particle Attribution constraint and XML schema extensions

From: Xan Gregg <xan.gregg@jmp.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:35:04 -0400
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
To: Tony Opatha <topatha@yahoo.com>

> Will adding elements right after the:
>
> <xs:any namespace="##other" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0"/>, or
> <xs:any namespace="##any" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0"/>
>
> violate unique particle attribute rule, i.e., we have a case of
> non-deterministic content model? if they do not violate what is the
> reason that they don't?

Yes, adding particles with extension will violate the constraint since
the wildcard is optional, except in the case you mention when you add
particles in the original target namespace after the ##other wildcard.
The value of processContents does not affect UPA.  Nor does the value
of abstract.

One alternative I've seen is to put the wildcard in a wrapper
extensibility element; I think WSDL uses this technique for
extensibility.  XML Schema itself uses this technique via the
xs:appinfo elements.

xan