Lexial and value space in context of pattern, enum and whitespace

From: Florian Reuter <flr@informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:44:36 +0200
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hello,

I have a question concerning the XSD simple types.
Consider the following simple type definition
 <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
 <xsd:element name="test">
 <xsd:simpleType>
 <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
 <xsd:whiteSpace value="collapse"/>
 <xsd:pattern value="a"/>
 </xsd:restriction>
 </xsd:simpleType>
 </xsd:element>
 </xsd:schema>
I expect the content <test> a </test> to be *invalid* with respect to the
above definition, because according to the schema spec:
a) whiteSpace constrains the *value space*, and
b) pattern is a constraint on the *value space* of a datatype which is
achieved by constraining the *lexical space* to literals which match a
specific pattern

On the other hand I expect the content <test> a </test> to be *valid* with
respect to the following schema
 <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
 <xsd:element name="test">
 <xsd:simpleType>
 <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
 <xsd:whiteSpace value="collapse"/>
 <xsd:enumeration value="a"/>
 </xsd:restriction>
 </xsd:simpleType>
 </xsd:element>
 </xsd:schema>
because according to the schema spec an
c) enumeration constrains the *value space* to a specified set of values

Can anyone help me clarify this - or even better - point me to a formal
semantic of the datatype definition?

Best regards,

Florian