RE: Multiple Types for an element

From: Xan Gregg <Xan.Gregg@jmp.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:56:36 -0500
To: "Shashikala Shamarao" <shashikala_shamarao@yahoo.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Your message came through a bit garbled, but I think what you are trying to do might be best done with either substitution groups or xsi:type.  With xsi:type, you would define:

type anyHotel
type hotel1 derived from anyHotel
type hotel2 derived from anyHotel
element property1 of type anyHotel

then the instance would contain something like

<property1 xsi:type="hotel1" name="H1" address="A1"/>

xan