Re: regular expression in XML Schema

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:01:11 +0100
To: Hans Teijgeler <hans.teijgeler@quicknet.nl>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi Hans,

> Rephrasing my question about how to fill in such an identifier in a
> Spy-made XML document, I have a last question: Assume that I want to
> make a query and I have to fill in such an identifier (or any
> string, for that matter) in which there is a middle dot (or any
> other allowable Unicode character), what then should I do, since
> there are no keys on my (US) keyboard with such characters?

As I said, it depends where the character needs to appear.

If the character appears in the value of an attribute or in text
within an element, then you can use a character reference to refer to
the character using its Unicode codepoint. For example, type "&#xB7;"
or "&#183;" to insert a MIDDLE DOT character in an attribute value or
in text.

If the character appears in an element or attribute name, you need to
enter the character literally. You can do that using the Windows
Character Map or by typing Alt+#, where # is the decimal version of
the Unicode codepoint, on the numeric keypad. For example, type
Alt+0183 to insert a MIDDLE DOT character in your document.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison