Re: minOccurs=maxOccurs=0

"Mark Thomson" <marktt@excite.com> writes:

> I am sorry if this question has been asked before. The XML Schema
> (structures) doc says (at least) in  section 3.3.2 (XML Representation
> of Element Declaration Schema Components):
>
> unless minOccurs=maxOccurs=0, in which case the item corresponds to no
> component at all

That's the maxOccurs and minOccurs _attributes_ in the XML of a schema
_document_.

> Section (or subsection) 3.9.6 (Constraints on Particle Schema
> Components) says that if maxOccurs != unbouded, then maxOccurs must be
> greater than or equal to 1. Doesn't this contradict the above ?

You haven't copied this carefully -- it actually says

  "If {max occurs} is not unbounded . . . then . . .
   {max occurs} must be greater than or equal to 1."

This is about _properties_ of _components_.  There is no
contradiction, indeed the two statements are self-reinforcing:  the
first says a particular kind of representation does not map to a
component, and the second rules out the kind of component it would
otherwise have mapped to.

Hope this helps,

                      Half-time member of W3C Team