Best Practices *as implemented* survey

From: Paul Kiel <paul@hr-xml.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:16:06 -0500
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Greetings,

In reviewing various schema design strategies, a group of us at HR-XML kept asking ourselves "what are other people doing?" - the ubiquitous "I want to save time" question.  Not wanting to reinvent the wheel (read: lazy) we began accumulating information on how standard libraries were designing their schemas.  The essential question was "in a nutshell, what is the consensus of implemented schema design?"

For sure, all have been reading and following the Best Practices web site (incredible site Roger!) at http://www.xfront.com/BestPracticesHomepage.html.  This site gives documentation on the pluses and minuses (and recommendations) of various design techniques.

What we were accumulating was survey information on the practices * as implemented *.  Essentially how people are implementing the designs discussed at xfront.

The link below shows an initial informal survey of a few groups which shows this information  (It is a draft and may contain errors - read with caution!)  I think this kind of survey data would make a great compliment to the documentation at xfront (in fact, I may have emailed Roger about this once).  It could help steer newcomers to the consensus best practices.

Have a look and see if you think it is worth pursuing and adding your experiences to this survey.

http://testbed.hr-xml.org/ImplementationPracticesSummary.xls

Cheers,
Paul

W. Paul Kiel