? Named Groups vs. Named Complex Types

From: Viju Mathew <tiruvila@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:46:56 -0800 (PST)
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Being new to the mailing list, I've been trying to identify some rules of thumb / best practices about when to use named Complex Types vs. Named Groups.

For instance, for the following 2 options to define a complex element, the only difference I can identify between the 2 is Readability (the 1st 'Salami Slice' design being more readable)

(these 2 element declarations are assumed for both examples)
<element name="FooElem1" type="string"/>
<element name="FooElem2" type="string"/>

-------------
(example 1)
<element name="Foo" type="FooType"/>

<complexType name="FooType">
  <sequence>
    <element ref="FooElem1" minOccurs="0"/>
    <element ref="FooElem2" minOccurs="0"/>
  </sequence>
</complexType>

-----------
(example 2)
<element name="Foo2">
  <complexType>
    <sequence>
      <group ref="FooGroup"/>
    </sequence>
  </complexType>
</element>

<group name="FooGroup">
  <sequence>
    <element ref="FooElem1" minOccurs="0"/>
  </sequence>
</group>

Both examples achieve the declaration of a complex element.
So, is there more to this than just weighing readability?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Viju