Re: allowing zero to unbounded elements in any order?

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:58:34 +0000
To: "Scott, Michael Gordon" <Michael.Gordon.Scott@kla-tencor.com>
CC: Sam Carleton <sam@linux-info.net>, xmlschema-dev <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hi Michael,

> Actually, NumWafers and Wafers are mandatory, they just want them in
> any order. It's everything in :
>
>         <xsd:extension base="Type_ToolLotSummary">
>
> The Type_ToolLotSummary, which is above <xs:all> that is optional
> (everyting), and also needed to be in any order.

I'm sorry, I overlooked the fact that you were extending the type.
<xs:all> can't be used in that context because when you extend a type
you effectively create a sequence of the content from the base type
followed by the content from the extension, and <xs:all> isn't allowed
within a sequence. There's no way to build a type by extension and
allow all the elements (from both the base type and the extension) to
be present in any order. Sorry that I didn't spot that sooner.

> Dumb question : Is <xs:???> and <xsd:???> the same thing?

Yes; I tend to use <xs:*> because that's what's used in the XML Schema
Rec, and because it's shorter.

Cheers,

Jeni

---