RE: allowing zero to unbounded elements in any order?

From: Scott, Michael Gordon <Michael.Gordon.Scott@kla-tencor.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:52:30 -0800
To: "'Jeni Tennison'" <jeni@jenitennison.com>, "Scott, Michael Gordon" <Michael.Gordon.Scott@kla-tencor.com>
Cc: Sam Carleton <sam@linux-info.net>, xmlschema-dev <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Jeni,

Unfortunately, the group of elements is actually in the range of 50
different elements.  Having one permutation for each combination would be
counter-productive, so I'm afraid I couldn't utilize your 1st suggestion.

I am bound by using straight xsd, without any other utilities.  I'm not sure
what you refer to as a loose content model, but if there are extra tags of
anything other than <C>, that could cause some extreme problems.  The XML
code is being used in recipe creation, where a recipe is what populates a
particular component in our software.  So, while Schematron sounds cool, I'm
afraid I can't use it.

I tried your 3rd alternative, but unsuccessfully.  Being relatively new to
schema's, I could have just missed something.  Here is an example of what
I'm doing now, with <xsd:sequence> :

	<xsd:complexType name="Type_LotSummary">
		<xsd:complexContent>
			<xsd:extension base="Type_ToolLotSummary">
				<xsd:sequence minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1">
					<xsd:element name="NumWafers"
type="xsd:nonNegativeInteger" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
					<xsd:element name="Wafers"
type="WaferLocations" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
				</xsd:sequence>
			</xsd:extension>
		</xsd:complexContent>
	</xsd:complexType>

	<xsd:complexType name="WaferLocations">
		<xsd:sequence minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1">
			<xsd:element name="WaferLoc"
type="xsd:normalizedString" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
		</xsd:sequence>
	</xsd:complexType>

Where <Type_ToolLotSummary> contains about 40 different element tags, that
my users want to be in any order (as well as some being optional), as well
as <NumWafers> and <Wafers>, which contains one or more <WaferLoc> tags.
Once I replaced <xsd:sequence> with <xsd:all>, a cascading waterfall of
problems started popping up.

I'm just assuming that it isn't possible with straight xsd.

Thanks, Jeni,

Michael