Re: "External" Attributes in Element of XML Instance

"Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz> writes:

> It seems to me that one can put any QName attribute in the start tag of an
> element in an XML instance document, as long as the attribute is globally
> defined in a namespace other than the target namespace (if exists) of the
> schema for the instance document. Is this true? Thanks!

Not quite -- just as for DTDs, schema-validity requires _some_ kind of
declaration for attributes -- what you're thinking of would involve an
attribute wildcard, e.g.

  <anyAttribute namespace="##other"/>

Including this in a type definition would allow any number of
attribute with an explicit prefix declared as a namespace _other_ than
the target namespace of the containing schema.

                      Half-time member of W3C Team