"list of atomic" constraint

From: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@bononia.it>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:53:21 +0200
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Cc: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk

Referring to this mail from Henry S. Thompson on this ML:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2001Mar/0064.html

I understood that union types can't be used to "cheat" and create list
of list datatypes.

But I'm unable to find this detail in the schema recommendation. I've
found only the "list of atomic" constraint that state that a list
itemType must be atomic or union; but no mention that in this case the
union must contains only atomic types.

Am I wrong?

Cheers.

--