Re: Defining Xlink

"C Baines" <cbaines@westroadchurch.org.uk> writes:

> I have included some xlinks within the text content of an XML document e.g:
>
> <rhyme>The <link xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3c.org/1999/xlink"
> xlink:href="cat.gif" xlink:show="new">cat</link> sat on the mat</rhyme>
>
> 1.    Presumably <rhyme> and any other elements containing <link> need to be
> mixed elements declaring <link> as a child?

Yes.

> 2.    Is there any way of declaring <link> just once in the schema so that
> it can be used within any elements at random?

Well, you can declare it once at the top level, but you would still
have to include an <xs:element ref="my:link" minOccurs="0"
                                             maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
in your mixed content models.

> 3.    Presumably because I have declared the xlink namespace within <link>
> in the XML document, I don't have to declare all the xlink attributes in the
> schema? Or do I?

If you want the <link> items validated, you'll need to not only import
the XLink namespace, but also a schema which declares all those
attributes.  There are several around on the web, none completely
official.  See
e.g. http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-msg/schema/xlink.xsd

                      Half-time member of W3C Team