Re: XML Schema compliance

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:58:22 +0100
To: "Savas Parastatidis" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>, "Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com>, "Paul Watson" <Paul.Watson@newcastle.ac.uk>

"Savas Parastatidis" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk> writes:

> A few weeks ago, I argued in Global Grid Forum's OGSI working group that
> trying to do something like the following in XML Schema was not valid.
> <xs:complexType name="myType">
>    <xs:complexContent>
>       <xs:restriction base="xs:element">
>       </xs:restriction>
>    </xs:complexContent>
> </xs:complexType>
> With xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"

There's nothing I'm aware of in the REC to stop you doing this.

There is a type definition with that name in the schema for schemas.
Like any other type definition that doesn't include
final='restriction', you can derive new type definitions from it by

Purists would probably argue you should include

<xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"/>

in your schema document.

What made you think this wasn't allowed?  I didn't understand your
comment "since the XML Schema specification is defined as an infoset,
the XML Schema <element> element that is defined in the normative XML
Schema schema (I hope this makes sense) should not be used in the
above manner".

                      Half-time member of W3C Team