Re: NameAndTypeOK No. 4

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:38:04 +0000
To: rainerbecker.mail@t-online.de (Rainer Becker)
CC: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi Rainer,

> at that point I was sure that "is fixed with the same value"
> meant, that fixed can only be used in both, the base type and
> the restricted type with an identical value , but unfortunately,
> the following two validate just fine.
>
>    <xsd:element name="B" type="xsd:string" />
>    <xsd:element name="B" type="xsd:string" fixed="test"/>
>
>    <xsd:element name="B" type="xsd:string" default="test" />
>    <xsd:element name="B" type="xsd:string" fixed="test" />
>
> Question: What does fixed with the same value mean?, or
>           is it a parser error, please help!

The three things that are legal are:

  (a) when the base declaration doesn't have a default or fixed value
  (b) when the base declaration has a default value
  (c) when the base declaration has a fixed value and the restricted
      declaration has the same, fixed value

In the examples above, the first satisfies (a) because the base
declaration doesn't have a default or fixed value, so it's legal
(regardless of what the restricted declaration looks like). The second
satisfies (b) because the base declaration has a default value, so
it's legal (regardless of what the restricted declaration looks like).

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison