<simpleType> inside <restriction>

From: Mark Thomson <marktt@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:36:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi,

Can any one tell me why <simpleType> is among the children of <restriction> when <restriction> is a child of <simpleContent> (Section 3.4.2 in Part 1)? The required base attribute of <restriction> specifies the base type which is being restricted. I can't understand why there is an optional <simpleType> after the <annotation>?

I am just guessing here: If base is not required then <simpleType> can be used to define the base type (base and <simpleType> cannot be both present), but what is it used for when the base attribute is present (and according to the specs, the base attribute must be present)?