RE: Attributes vs. Elements for Code values

Not at all sure this is a good idea, but just to round out the options:

If you use elements (which I'm not necessarily recommending), you can do
enumerations either as an enumerated simple type:

<car>
        <!--make is an enumerated simple type -->
        <make>Ford</make>
</car>

or as empty element content:

<car>
        <!--make contains a substitution group head -->
        <make>
                <Ford/>
        </make>
</car>

The content model for "make" might name a substitution group head,
allowing only empty elements.  Now you have an idiom where items can be
added to the substitution group without changing the definition of the
head, or even doing any imports or includes (depending on how you use
namespaces and how your processor gathers schema documents.)

I haven't tried this, but I believe it works.  Of course, it has many pros
and cons as a style for modelling data, and it will affect the style of
your downstream processing, of mappings to programming language
structures, etc.  Still, I think it is an option you can consider.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

Simon.Cox@csiro.au
Sent by: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org