validate against multiple schemas

From: Michael Ryan Bannon <mrbannon@uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:30:30 -0400
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

This question follows up from a question a posted some months ago.
I want to validate against multiple schemas.  Is this possible?
For example, I have the following XML file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<patientRecord xmlns:hosp="http://www.swen.uwaterloo.ca/~mrbannon/HOSPITAL"

  <hosp:name proto:dataItem="true">
   <hosp:givenNames>Michael Ryan</hosp:givenNames>

What I want to happen is for a parser to validate all the "hospial" elements agains the "hospital" schema and the "proto" attribute against the "proto" schema.  Right now, the www.w3c.org schema online validator says that proto:dataItem is undeclared.  Is there a way around this?  Can I tell a validator to validate ONLY THOSE ELEMENTS AND ATTRIBUTES THAT ARE MARKED WITH "hosp" AGAINST THE "hospital" schema and likewise for the "prototype" schema?