Re: Announcment - JBind a Java-XML Databinding Framework

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:00:37 +0200
To: "Stefan Wachter" <Stefan.Wachter@gmx.de>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> About adding behaviour: JBind does not intend to define the behaviour of
XML
> data inside an XML schema. It mearly allows to add behaviour by the
seamless
> intergration of manually written Java code with the generated code.

I was referring to the xPathMethod feature, which I interpreted as an
attempt to define behavior inside the schema. On the other hand this feature
could be seen as an instrument for specifying derived values and
constraints, which I agree is a very good thing to have (and will hopefully
on day be part of the schema standard).

> About unmarshalling large documents that do not fit into memory: Thats not
> possible with JBind the reason is that the complete object tree is
> instantiated (Maybe you asked that question because the usage of
> unconstraint XPath in identity constraints on types?).

That would certainly be a killer feature for us, though certainly not simple
to implement. In fact, no data binding tools I am aware of work with large
files, but I haven't done an extensive review.

> About the license: I submitted the JBind license to opensoftware.org for
> approval. The license is a mixture of two already approved licenses: the
> Artistic License and the Attribution Assurance License.

I see, I remember some discussion on how free software was not necessarily
like free beer, but IANAL :-)

--
Eric Jain