Extending with mixed content

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:01:04 +0200
To: "xmlschema-dev" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

This message was previously posted to the xml-schema-comments list, without
getting any feedback. Second attempt:

I am having some problems designing an extensible schema for a specific
application. Let's say I have an element:

The content must conform to a pattern like [OPQ]\d{5}, which is easily
expressible in XML Schema. Now, we need to allow people to extend any
element in the following manner:

This can only be allowed by setting content="mixed"; unfortunately the
original content can now no longer be controlled in any way. Our current
workaround is not to use *any* content, but to put *everything* into

<name value="P12345"/>

<name value="P12345">

Ugly. Let me know if this issue (if it is one in fact) is being addressed in
XML Schema 1.1, and excuse me if this has already been discussed.

Eric Jain

Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
1, rue Michel Servet
1211 Geneva 4