Extending with mixed content

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:01:04 +0200
To: "xmlschema-dev" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

This message was previously posted to the xml-schema-comments list, without
getting any feedback. Second attempt:

I am having some problems designing an extensible schema for a specific
application. Let's say I have an element:

<name>P12345</name>

The content must conform to a pattern like [OPQ]\d{5}, which is easily
expressible in XML Schema. Now, we need to allow people to extend any
element in the following manner:

<name>
     P12345
     <note>...</note>
</name>

This can only be allowed by setting content="mixed"; unfortunately the
original content can now no longer be controlled in any way. Our current
workaround is not to use *any* content, but to put *everything* into
attributes:

<name value="P12345"/>

<name value="P12345">
     <note>...</note>
</name>

Ugly. Let me know if this issue (if it is one in fact) is being addressed in
XML Schema 1.1, and excuse me if this has already been discussed.

--
Eric Jain

Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
1, rue Michel Servet