XMLSchema.xsd question

From: <David.Cantrell@Gunter.AF.mil>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:52:02 -0500
To: xmlschema-dev@frink.w3.org

Hi all,

I just subscribed to this list, and have seen some related info in the
archives, but nothing quite answered my question.

I am pretty new to the whole schema thing and want to make sure I get things
right. I want to create a simple schema validator using Windows Scripting
and MSXML 4.0 that I can use locally on our systems here to validate the
schema we are starting to create.

I've written a very straightforward one that takes a schema file and
validates it against XMLSchema.xsd found at

Now, I've used both the URI reference as well as downloaded the
XMLSchema.xsd and XMLSchema.dtd files, but I keep getting this really
bizarre error:

    file: //c:/usr/bin/XMLSchema.xsd#schema[1]/simpleType[position() = 22
and @name='hexBinary']/restriction[1]
    WhiteSpace constraining facet is prohibited.

This apparently refers to the simpleType "hexBinary" starting at line 1669.
At line 1688 is the restriction that fails:

    <xs:whiteSpace value="collapse" fixed="true"

Is this restriction vital to the schema? Should it be removed? Or am I doing
something wrong?

FYI the test case was validating the schema against itself.

Thanks in advance,