Re: Recursive import/include/redefine

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 07 Oct 2002 16:07:51 +0100
To: "Lemmin, Harald" <Harald.Lemmin@softwareag.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

"Lemmin, Harald" <Harald.Lemmin@softwareag.com> writes:

> as I read from the archives, import does not works recursive:
> a imports b imports c does not mean: a imports c.

That's right -- import is primarily about establishing the legitimacy
of referencing components from other that the target namespace.  For
that purpose, transitivity would not be helpful.

> Include can be recursive:
> a includes b includes c means: a includes b and c ("compound schema").

> Now the questions:

> (1) redefine:
> a redefines b redefines c means: every item that is redefined by a may be
> used in a and this item may be previously redefined by b from c. But what
> has not been redefined by a cannot be used in a.

Right, I think.

> (2) redefine / include:
> a includes b redefines c means: a is assembled from itself, the global
> element/types of b and from the redefinitions done in b.
> Am I right?

Again, yes, I believe so.

Remember that appearances to the contrary notwithstanding, include,
import and redefine are all about schemas and their components, not
about documents.