RE: XML Schema Design Patterns: Avoiding Complexity

The guidelines were meant for schema authors and were not influenced by implementations except for the part about complex type restrictions which was influenced by both.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Dan Vint [mailto:dvint@mindspring.com]
 Sent: Thu 11/21/2002 9:45 AM
 To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
 Subject: Re: XML Schema Design Patterns: Avoiding Complexity

 Interesting set of Do's and Don'ts. I see several items listed as implement
 carefully. Has this set only been considered as individual items, or have
 they also been evaluated in the context of having a schema that uses all of
 them.

 Seems to me that you might easily work with one or two of the "careful"
 items and still have a manageable schema, but try and use all the
 recommendations together and the complexity returns.

 I didn't see a statement of whose complexity we are considering - is it the
 tools and parsers or complexity in terms of the human trying to implement?
 For instance I have had problems with complexType definitions that are
 fairly easy to follow by hand, but when these are nested several tools
 loose the ability to detect duplicate attribute declarations that occur due
 to inheritance. This would be a type based upon another type nested 3
 layers deep.

 The use of substitution groups are impossible to try and manage by hand in
 a schema over 20 elements in size, but maybe is easy for the parser to deal
 with. We haven't used these much so I don't know how well the tools support
 this (or report what elements would now be allowed that you might not be
 thinking of).

 ..dan