RE: type for using a more restrictive type

A couple of situtations.

1. if the element is declared to be of a type that is abstract and instance will want to use xsi:type to specify a concrete type derived by restriction or extension
2. if an element is declared to be of a "permissive" type (i.e., allows some optional children) and the sender wants to assert that they are sending a more "restrictive" version (i.e., includes only the required children) they use xsi:type to specify the type that is derived by restriction from the permissive one.

I'm sure there are others.

pvb