	From: Bob Schloss [mailto:rschloss@us.ibm.com]
	Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 2:05 AM
	To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
	Subject: Preliminary Version of Schema Components Infoset Model
in Java by IBM is available on Partnerworld for Developers

	There has been a lot of discussion (on various mailing lists)
about the benefits of a standard API which would allow software that
creates, examines or modify XML Schemas, written in Java, to do so in a
way that represents the semantic XML schema components described in the
W3C XML Schema specifications.

	In February, we shared with the W3C Schema and DOM working
groups some thoughts about what such an API should try to do. You can
see those 'requirements' described here:
http://www.research.ibm.com/XML/schema/WD-XML-Schema-Infoset-API-Req.htm
.

	I have been lucky to work with Ed Merks, part of the IBM
Websphere Studio Application Developer development group, to define such
an API and to produce a reference implementation. Although we have not
yet completed every last function we have in mind to implement, nor have
we done any performance tuning, this API has been used successfully in
building several real XML and Web Services tools. We have tried to make
a reasonable and straightforward Javadoc, and have been grateful to have
Shane Curcuru, who has worked on the Apache Xalan team, give us some
guidance on how to do this. We are aiming for an API which is very
complete: not simply read-only, and able to handle any XML Schema, no
matter how complex. We tried to use the terminology from the W3C's XML
Schema specifications in naming our classes/interfaces, methods, a
constants.

	We have now made this work, including source code, UML, example
usage code and documentation, available publically for the wider
community to examine and use. Donating a future version of this to some
open source effort is possible, although I can't make a commitment on
behalf of IBM at this time.

	We encourage you to download our work. You can do so through
IBM's Partnerworld for Developers web pages.

	https://www.developer.ibm.com/member/register/how2join.html -
shows how you can get yourself an ID and password if you've never
	joined Partnerworld for Developers

https://www.developer.ibm.com/websphere/member/workbench_beta_download.h
tml - where you can find the XSD Feature, the name for the Schema
Infoset Model (aka com.ibm.etools.xsd)

	Note: I have posted this notice also to several other xml and
web services development lists, but have asked that any questions and
comments be posted to this list at least until the end of June.

	Bob Schloss
	XML/XSL Transformational Technologies
	IBM T.J. Watson Research Center