Re: <length> = a real number plus a unit qualification

Hi Jeni,

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 14:16, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> Noah (and various others) wrote:
> > I understand that it may not meet the need, but there are many who
> > would argue that:
> >
> >         <length units="cm">2.54</length>
> >
> > is better markup than:
> >
> >         <length> 2.54 cm</length>
> >

> While I agree in general, Chuck did say (in an earlier message) that
> he was trying to model XSL-FO data types.

I feel always very uncomfortable dictating design rules based on tools
support: in many cases, tools change faster than markup and  some rules
which were considered as good practice because of DTD restrictions are
now obsolete. I think (and hope) that this will be the case later or
sooner with rules dictated by W3C XML Schema 1.0 or XPath 1.0 or any
other specification which is not "core XML".

Of course, it can also be the case, sometimes, that a rule dictated by
W3C XML Schema is a good practice :-) ...

Eric
--
See you in Barcelona.
                              http://www.xmleurope.com/2002/schedule.asp