representing fixed point decimal types

From: Cole, Russ E <Russ.Cole@unisys.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:46:01 -0500
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Am I right that there are no fixed point types in xml schema?  The closest
thing I can find to precision/scale is totalDigits/fractionDigits.  So, I
find myself using minInclusive/maxInclusive.  For example, for precision 8
scale 2:

<xs:simpleType>
              <xs:restriction base='xs:decimal'>
               <xs:totalDigits value='8'/>
               <xs:fractionDigits value='2'/>
               <xs:minInclusive value='-999999.99'/>
               <xs:maxInclusive value='999999.99'/>
              </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

Also, the example in the xml schema standard seems wrong to me because it
says using totalDigits 8 and fractionDigits 2 constrains the value to be
less than 1 million whereas it only constrains the value to be less than 100
million.

Russ Cole

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/#rf-totalDigits

Example
The following is the definition of a ·user-derived· datatype which could be
used to represent monetary amounts, such as in a financial management
application which does not have figures of $1M or more and only allows whole
cents. This definition would appear in a schema authored by an "end-user"
and shows how to define a datatype by specifying facet values which
constrain the range of the ·base type· in a manner specific to the ·base
type· (different than specifying max/min values as before).
<simpleType name='amount'>
  <restriction base='decimal'>
    <totalDigits value='8'/>
    <fractionDigits value='2' fixed='true'/>
  </restriction>
</simpleType>