Fw: SimpleType, SimpleContent, Redefine

From: Bruno Chatel <bcha@chadocs.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:07:18 +0100
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Cc: "patt" <pattar@tireme.fr>, <bcha@chadocs.com>

 Hello,

 I would like to know if the following compleType defintion is allowed:

 <xs:complexType name="unit">
       <xs:simpleContent>
            <xs:extension base="xs:integer"/>
       </xs:simpleContent>
  </xs:complexType>

 It seems to be equivalent than :

 <xs:simpleType name="unit">
     <xs:restriction  base="xs:integer"/>
 <xs:simpleType>

 In fact, I want to define an "interface" of the unit type in order to redefine it :
 (with the first unit complexType def)

  <xs:redefine schemaLocation="unit.xsd">
       <xs:complexType name="unit">
            <xs:simpleContent>
                 <xs:extension base="unit">
                      <xs:attribute name="otherVal" type="xs:integer" use="required"/>
                 </xs:extension>
            </xs:simpleContent>
       </xs:complexType>
  </xs:redefine>

 This redefinition seems to be forbiden (xsv error : Basing a type on itself is
forbidden).
 This error is raised only when I try to redefine a complexType with a simpleContent.
 A redefine of a complexType (with a complexContent) using the same name seems
 to be correct ....

 Thanks in advance

 Regards

 -- bruno --