From: Henry S. Thompson [mailto:ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk]
Sent: 14 March 2002 17:19
To: Colin Mackenzie
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: problem with import/include and XSV type qualified by
non-local namespace

"Colin Mackenzie" <colin@elecmc.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a top level schema (see top.xsd below) that includes other schemas
> with the same namespace.
>
> These "sub-schemas" use types defined in a schema of another namespace. To
> avoid importing the other schemas multiple times (i.e. once in each sub
> schema) I import the other namespace schema in the top level schema
> (top.xsd).
>
> This seems to work OK in XMLSpy and Turbo XML but using XSV I get an error
> when one of my subschemas attempts to use a type from the other namespace.
> The error is:"attribute type check failed for {None}:type: yours:YourType
is
> qualified by an unimported non-local namespace"
>
> This seems to point to XSV saying that the other namespace schema should
be
> imported in the schema file in which uses that type (rather in the level
> above).
>
> Is XSV correct, have I made a mistake or is this a bug?

A schema document must contain <xs:import>s for every non-local
namespace.  The fact that that document is being included in some
other schema document which has the import does not let it off the
hook.

Are there actually still processors out there that complain about
multiple identical <import>s?

 [mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is forged
spam]