Re: Schema validators expected to support xml:base?

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:39:15 -0500
To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
At 9:04 AM -0500 3/13/02, Roger L. Costello wrote:

>If we can use a relative URL in targetNamespace that that seems to be
>contrary to something else that Elliotte says:

I'd use an absolute URL for both the namespace in the document
instance, the schema, and the target namespace of the schema.

>"The one common kind of URL that xml:base does not apply to is the
>namespace URL."

Relative URLs in namespaces are a really thorny can of worms and
should be avoided. Regardless, Appendix C of the XML base spec
states, though non-normatively, that "Namespaces in XML [XML Names]
uses URI references, which as currently defined should not be
resolved relative to the base URI defined by xml:base for the
purposes of namespace identification. Higher level processes which
dereference namespace URIs are not covered by the namespaces
specification and might at their option specify that xml:base is
honored for the purposes of fetching resources at those URIs."

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |