RE: Derivation by restriction from <any>

So after all this, do I understand that:
(a) Dare agrees with MSXML that my original schema[1] is invalid;
while
(b) Jeni originally agreed with Henry that it was OK, but now thinks it is
unclear
?

I'm having some difficult untangling the thread
and relating it to my original question!

Meanwhile, if Dare and MSXML are correct,
then perhaps I should rephrase the question:

How can I define
a base type that will accept *any* elements in its content model,
and then define
a type derived from this by restriction that confines the
content to a specific vocabulary?
(to be used for elements in a substitution group)

Am I reduced to using the very weak inheritance method
of first emptying the content and then extending it?

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2002Mar/0015.html

_____
Simon.Cox@csiro.au  CSIRO Exploration & Mining
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151
PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102  AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (8) 6436 8639  F: +61 (8) 6436 8555  C: +61 (4) 0330 2672
http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=resume&id=CoxSimon