From: Priscilla Walmsley [mailto:priscilla@walmsley.com]
Sent: 08 March 2002 15:21
To: 'Mark Thornton'; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: RE: Identity Constraints

Hi Mark,

We did consider it - in fact, earlier drafts of the recommendation allowed
you to reference an ancestor (..), which would have met your needs in this
case.  In the end, it came down to defining a manageable subset of XPath
that could reasonably and unambiguously be implemented by schema processors
for Version 1, and the ancestor function was removed.  The working group is
aware that this is a limitation for multi-part keys, and is considering it
as a future requirement.

Thanks,
Priscilla

Priscilla Walmsley                          priscilla@walmsley.com
Vitria Technology                            http://www.vitria.com
Author, Definitive XML Schema                  (Prentice Hall PTR)